Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Can Feel It


I can feel it.  The tingle in the air.  The sense of anticipation.  It is like a small snowflake before the winter wonderland.  Or, in Texas, the dust of sand before the dune.

I've had this feeling before.  As a young boy, the closer I got to this the more excited, animated, and joyful I became.  As an adult, I find I am having the same reactions.

Yes, I'm being a bit cryptic about what this thing, this event is, because I really want to talk about the feelings and actions that come up when people get excited.  When they feel passion for something.  When they can't wait for something they love to occur.

For me  high school was not a great experience.  I was part of the "geek" and "nerd" and "dweeb" crowd.  Didn't really want to be in that crowd, but I was.   There were several groups, the least of which were the athletes, that made life at that time a little difficult.  A lot damaging to the ego.  And, of course, girls at that time looked on us for what we could do for their grades, not their hearts.

Yet, my summers were reserved for what I loved.  I would wait in anticipation all school year  and almost run home the last day.  The next week would be spent in a chaotic state, getting packed, ready, waiting......

Ok.  Yes, I will tell you finally what this thing is.  I wanted to give a lead-in, a preface because for many people it's no big thing.  Summer Camp.  Yep.  Summer Camp.

I was a camper at my camp from 4th grade to 8th.  I was a staff from 10th grade to after college.  It was and is a magical place.

I would go there as a staff early.  Usually it was only me and the camp director and maintenance guy.  I would be put to work getting the campsite ready for summer.  Several days, I remember, painting, sanding, buffing, polishing, doing trash runs, mowing.  It was wonderful.

Then the staff for the summer would start to arrive and for the next two weeks it would be like all the best experiences of camp, mixed with the best experiences of school.  All of this in an environment of loving kindness and service.  There were many a time that I thought I could spend my life there.   It ended up, that now, 20 some years later, I still have that desire.

So, next week I am going back to the same camp to volunteer for a week.  Yes, I'm a bit older.  Yes, I could be the dad of some of these staff.  (Frightful thought).  I could almost be the grandfather (not quite) of some of the campers.  Yet, last year I did the same thing and it was as if I never left.

I am going to keep this a bit short, because I could almost write a book about my experiences there.

My question to you is, is there something that you look forward to, that stirs your blood, that affixes your attention.  Is there something that you love that's coming up.  And if there isn't......plan something.

No comments:

Post a Comment