Saturday, April 23, 2011



Willingness versus Will-fullness.
------------------------------------------

"I know now how to do it.  I know where I made my mistakes.  This time it will be better!"

"God helps those who help themselves!"

"If all else fails, then I will give the God thing an try."

"I am a mighty warrior for God!  Look at all the things I have done!"

This is really a problem area for me.  It is.   I have two choices that seem, on the surface, to be contradictory.

I can be Willing.

You have all heard it.  Just wait upon the Lord.  Seek for those signs.  Wait for God.  Be available.  Be willing.

Yet, how?   I mean, do I just show up at church events, Sunday school,  and sit on the pews waiting for God to use me?  How about walking out into the center of town, and sit on a bench in the park and just wait for something to happen.  I know, let me go and sit in a chapel in a hospital and wait for God to instruct me on what to do.  I will need to reorganize my schedule.  Nothing should get in the way of my availability for God right!  I mean, I can put off that vacation and volunteer right?   I can't start anything because I don't know if it is God inspired or God's will.   I can't make a mistake.  What if it is just my will?

Lots of what ifs.  Lots of passivity.  Lots of fears of making the wrong move, so I wait until God moves first.

Yes, I know this is unrealistic.  It is taking willingness to a whole new level.

The assumption that Willingness begins from is that we need to be viilant, available, aware, and willing to do God's will when we see it in our lives.  As you can see, it can degrade into a passivity with life in general.  It becomes an excuse to not do things.  To not try.

Let's look at will-fullness taken to the same level.

I can be will-full.

"Just do it"

"Go for gold"

"God or Bust!"

There is a part of me who sees something that should be done and wants to do it.  Very little planning or rational thought goes into this.  Sometimes I just jump.   Later, when I am way over my head I ask the questions like "Wasn't this what God wished for me to do?  I mean I was helping people after all.   Sounds like it was God's will."

The underlying assumption in being willfull is that we are an active partner with God and therefore we don't have to wait for inspiration, but just begin to do something.  I have nothing against this assumption.  Sounds pretty good.  But just like "Willingness" described above, it can lead to a life based on action and not contemplation.  Asking how God fits in after plunging in.  Making sure that God is still in our corner, when the boxing gloves come off.

Now both being Willing and Willfull have their place.  In fact, this whole Christian journey wouldn't get very far without them.

Willingness allows us to see the needs in the world; and gives us the possibility that it may be us who may address these needs.   Otherwise, we are armchair Christians, mouthing the words about that needs to be done but doing nothing.

Will-fullness provides the power, the motivation, the drive to act on those perceived needs.   God did not create us with no will at all.  We have the power to make decisions, to take action.  We can do.

Yet, both of these are necessary to counterbalance the other.

Our willingness may be there to change our minds about the course we have started (we have willed).  Perhaps it is a path which is better for us and the world than the one we acted on.  We have to be open to this possibility.  We need to be willing to reevaluate.

We also need to be will-full to check the tendency to remain static, or even paralyzed in making a decision about what to do.  We need the motivation to act on new circumstances.  To change our path when necessary.

Our willingness introduces us to where we can be useful, and our will acts on it.  Both necessary.  Both harmful when taken to an extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment