Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Story of Dignity


A Story of Dignity
----------------------

I pulled up to the ol' Walmart gas pumps this morning, and the place was packed.  When, finally, I got to the pumps, there was someone else waiting for me to finish.

I looked at this older SUV van waiting and saw that the passenger was trying to get out.  He was an older gentleman, with graying hair, and piercing eyes.  Something about him just told me that he used to be a man of power, respect, substance.  Like a remembered air of authority and command.

He had a lot of difficulty getting out of this SUV..  His movements were slow and strained.  All the while, the driver watched him but did not offer to help; she just watched him with respect in her eyes.  I think she was his daughter, but perhaps not.  Her eyes followed him, his every movement, like she would react if he started to fall, but he did not.

The cane came out; first one leg and then another touched the ground.  He teetered a little but got his balance back.  Then he started moving for a pump that was just opening.  The SUV pulled into it, and the man took out his card, swiped it, balanced his body on the left with his cane and none-to-steady left leg, removed the gas cap, and picked up the pump and put it in the vehicle.   The woman in the driver seat never took her eyes from him.

I finished and drove off, but that incident stayed in my mind.  It was a demonstration of a proud man who, while limited by his age and his body, still gets out and pays and pumps his own gas.  I know it took an effort.  You could see it in his face, in his breathing.  But he did it anyway.

It made me think that not everyone would allow the time and patience for someone to do what they still were capable of doing; even pumping gas.  It is not just the elderly that seem to be bypassed in this "immediate" life but any of those that are slower, not as skilled, not as coordinated as the "normal" us.

When I went with my dad out to Soup and Salads, there was an elderly man who was the busboy.  I watched him at first, because I had never seen someone his age being a busboy.  Yet, while I watched, he not only cleaned off the tables, but went further and moved all the shakers, condiments, etc off the table and cleaned under them. and took time out to wipe off the benches and chairs.  I saw another busboy (busgirl) who just cleared and wiped.  She did it quicker, much quicker, but not a tenth the job he did.  I was actually proud of this Soup and Salad for hiring him.  They may have thought they were taking a chance on him, but I hope they know and appreciate the honor, the pride he takes in everything he does for them.

I am glad I was reminded of the value of people, at any age, who have pride in what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment